1. Books International’s two manufacturing facilities in the United States – our headquarters facility
in Dulles, VA and a satellite facility in Chicago, IL. The latter is embedded in the University of
Chicago Press’ Chicago Distribution Center. Both plants are currently operating on normal production
schedules and we do not currently anticipate a future closure of manufacturing operations at either
facility. This is, of course, subject to change as the situation develops.
2. Employees at both operations are cross-trained should we encounter any significant absenteeism due to the Coronavirus.
3. Both facilities have manufacturing redundancy for selected functions should we need to transfer volume between plants.
4. Plans for back-up manufacturing operations with local book manufacturers are being activated in the unlikely event that we will need to shut down one or both Books International manufacturing plants.
5. Plans to transition from onsite administrative activities are in place. Books International administrative staff have been appropriately equipped and we will deploying selected functions to a full work from home arrangement in the coming days.
6. Employee meetings have been held and will continue to be held regarding best practices to avoid contracting the virus and containing the spread of COVID – 19.
7. Additional cleaning and disinfecting steps have been implemented.
8. Visits from suppliers and outside companies have been suspended at both facilities and business travel of all types has been eliminated for all employees.
9. We carry adequate 8-12 weeks of text paper inventory at both manufacturing locations and have increased our position of business critical consumables.
10. We are actively sourcing additional inventory of both to ensure that material shortages will not intrude on our ability to meet our manufacturing commitments and we are in close contact with key suppliers. We are maintaining close contact with the supply chain partners to ensure uninterrupted delivery and increased inventory.
As this situation evolves we will modify our procedures and policies as circumstance require and you may rest assured that Books International is fully committed to ensuring the health and safety of our team, supply chain partners and customers and a continuous supply of products to our customers.
President & Chief Executive Office